Buena Vista Township
Buena Vista Township lies in the most southeastern part of Clayton County, on the banks of the Mississippi River. The surface is undulating, and the soil a deep, rich black loam, which is mostly under cultivation. The village of Buena Vista was laid out in 1851, but prior to that time there had been several hundred men engaged in mining in this vicinity, who had their furnaces here, where they melted their lead, as early as 1848.
The first settler in the township was Syrus Henderson, and he was followed by Robert Bunker (now deceased), Joseph Heinrich and William Foster, who still reside in Clayton County. The first school house in the township was built by George Cleaveland for a dwelling, but was purchased by the district for school purposes. Miss Mary Shipton was the first teacher. She is now deceased. In 1879 a fine brick school-house was erected at a cost of $1,800. There are two other buildings, one a frame, the other a log structure, the total value of the three being $2,800. The number of pupils enrolled in the year 1881 ws ninety-five. The present School Directors are: R. Meuth, Herman Albart and John Laern; the present Secretary is E. Merkle, and the Treasurer, Charles Cook.
The first marriage solemnized in the township was that of Charles Hoffman and Cordelia Anthonly. The first death was that of Mr. Cook. The first Justice of the Peace was Joseph Reynolds, who served most acceptably several years. Barry White preached the first sermon.
The present township officers are as follows: W. C. Stoddard, Justice of the Peace; R. Meuth, Clerk; R. Meuth, Henry Kmamm and Henry Hinkle, Trustees; A. Voggenthaler, Assessor.
Among the principal business interests of Buena Vista is the firm of R. & E. Meuth, general merchants. They embarked in their present business here in 1857, and in 1860 erected a fine large store, which they now occupy. It is 34x100 feet, and three stories in height. They carry a complete stock of goods, valued at $6,000. They formerly dealt extensively in grain, but of late years have carried on the mercantile business exclusively. R. Meuth is the present Postmaster at Buena Vista, and the first also acts as express agents at the station.
The Buena Vista Cemetery is located in the upper portion of the township.
transcribed by Roxanne Barth
source: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co., 1882. Reproduced by the sponsorship of the Monona Historical Society, Monona, Iowa, reproduction Evansville, Indiana: Unigraphics, Inc., 1975, page 678-679
Return to Table of Contents
Return to Clayton County Index