W. A. Hall, M. D., one of the
leading physicians of McGregor, was born in Blair County,
Pa., Jan. 12, 1851, and was a son of W. B. and Sidney A.
Hall, nee Ross, natives also of the Keystone State. W. B.
Hall's early life was spent in the mercantile business,
and was afterward engaged in contracting and building
railroads. In 1850 he went to California, where he spent
two years in mining and prospecting, and in 1852 returned
to his home in Pennsylvania. In 1854 he came to Iowa,
purchasing a large tract of land in Jackson County, which
he farmed until 1867, then removed to Le Claire, Iowa. He
engaged in the lumber traffic until 1874, and since that
time has speculated in Westerlands. He is now a resident
of Dakota. The subject of this memoir came to Iowa when
three years of age, and was educated principally at
Wesley College, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, graduating from that
institution in 1873, being one of the youngest members of
the class. He was subsequently employed as teacher in the
chemical department for one year; also, by the
Government, as Civil Engineer at Rock Island, one year.
In 1874 he commenced the study of medicine under Dr. J.
Conway, and in 1875 attended lectures at the Louisville,
Ky., Medical College, from which he graduated in 1877.
Prior to locating in practice in McGregor, he prosecuted
his profession in Cape Girardeau, Mo., a short time. In
the fall of 1881 he married Eliza Downton, daughter of
Dr. W. A. Downton, of Danville, Ky., where she was born
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa, 1882, p. 984-98
Return to Biographies Index